Lotsa hullabaloo with Iron Man 3. Here’s a rapidfire Good/Bad/Ugly review of Marvel’s animated Invincible Iron Man feature, which includes The Mandarin, lead villain in the upcoming big-screener.
- Solid animation without too many overtly, jerky CGI moments…
- Cameo appearances by iconic armors, including the Hulkbuster. I also liked that its the original Iron Man armor getting most of the spotlight in this flick.
- There are at least two heel turns here. One of them surprised me, but to be fair, I wasn’t paying close attention, as I was painting the Ninja Turtles’ Party Wagon during the movie.
- Even though this film diverges from the comics and ties Iron Man and Mandarin’s origins together very neatly, the plot is oh-so-predictable. If you know anything about Iron Man, you’ve seen this story before. At least twice.
- The main antagonist is the threat of the Mandarin maybe showing up, not the actual Mandarin. Bro, this is a Marvel animated feature, not a Hitchcock thriller.
- Pepper Potts is voiced by a British school marm. I’m not even sure what that is, but it sounds stuffy, and not like the Pepper Potts I imagined in reading the comics, nor the amiable one seen on-screen (Gwenyth Paltrow), nor the one in Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.